Title: Director – Engineering and Construction
Location: Florida – East Coast
Position Type: Full-time
Function: Director – Engineering and Construction
South Reach Networks (SRN) is a carrier neutral long-haul fiber network provider, as well as the owner / operator of a data center and colocation facility located on the 5th floor of 36 Northeast 2nd Street in downtown Miami. The long-haul network consists of high-count fiber backbones and five integrated colocation facilities along the 360-mile East coast of Florida from Miami to Jacksonville. The Miami data center facility provides space, power, and connectivity for companies operating in the optical transport, telecommunications, server, storage, hosting, cloud, and IP business sectors.
In addition to the long-haul fiber network and Miami data center facility, SRN also owns and operates a high-capacity duct system and fiber network in downtown Miami with connectivity to key communications facilities in the metro area.
Position Overview & Responsibilities
The Director of Engineering and Construction has responsibility to engineer, design, and project manage network expansions and system improvements. To manage the day-to-day operations, maintenance and repair of the company’s fiber optic network. To manage the economic and financial viability of all network additions and customer contracts.
Provide direction and planning for the development of the company’s fiber optic network and colocation facilities. Plan future expansions and upgrades to the network with present and future business opportunities in mind. Manage the company’s fiber and colocation assets to ensure that adequate capacity is available to meet ongoing business needs and restoration requirements. Direct the engineering, design and project management of the company’s network construction. Continuously review construction methods for improved alternatives through new technology and equipment. Introduce new fiber optic products and construction methods. Provide planning and management of the engineering and design of high speed, reliable data network systems for internal communications. Review internal and external construction activities and customer needs for future communications related business opportunities. Work to ensure optimum reliability and availability of the fiber optic network and colocation facilities to the company and its customers.
Direct the company’s response to network operations issues. Coordinate the identification, response and repair of all damage to the network. Manage the company’s preparation for emergency response including material availability, personnel assignments and crew allocation/availability. Coordinate communications between the company and its customers to manage expectations regarding network repairs.
Participate in infrastructure negotiations and third-party agreements. Lead and or participate in contract negotiations with vendors/contractors that contribute to the design and construction of the company’s network infrastructure.
Motivate and direct the activities of personnel to provide customer satisfaction of both emergency and capital projects. Prepare and manage work orders to assure timely and cost effective completion of network capital projects.
The Director is focused on improving accountability and efficiency to maximize revenue through process improvement, timeline adherence and overall successful implementations of construction initiatives for all network elements.
The Director is responsible for budget control of all construction expenditures within the assigned projects. The Director will work to continually improve engineering and construction standards and share lessons learned with the organization. The Director will be responsible for staff development and training of all levels of construction management. The Director is responsible for assuring safety, quality and high client service to internal and external constituents and ensuring consistent communication to all key stakeholders.
The Director reports to the SEVP – Head of Operations.
Areas of responsibility include:
- Successfully manage all assigned projects and meet corporate, customer and property owner expectations (e.g., railroad rights of way).
- Implement and monitor fiber management system as well as reporting methods for multiple contractors and project managers.
- Provide effective problem resolutions to facilitate faster project deliveries and improved working relationships between the client/customer and field team. Troubleshoot, negotiate and mediate client or subcontractor problems or complaints that arise at site level.
- Work with SRN personnel and contractors to develop construction management techniques and innovations that improve organization’s processes and overall capabilities.
- Ensure consistent and continuous compliance by all employees and vendors with safety and regulatory requirements, standards and protocols.
- Oversee and coordinate with assigned project managers statements of work and bid packages for construction of networks projects. Ensure accurate and timely submittal of projected cost- to- complete for monthly work in progress reports.
- Provide input to network designs to minimize cost and maximize investment and operational efficiencies.
- Support internal operations for assigned projects in order to insure proper handoff and compliance to standards.
- Minimize construction costs without compromising safety, system quality or operational impact.
- Ensure proper use of capital expenditures by ensuring adherence to Allied Fiber’s design standards and ensuring compliance with installation contractors. Seek creative ways to minimize cost, without compromising safety or system quality or operational impact, through understanding of specific site conditions and circumstances
- Evaluate new product methods and techniques to achieve maximum cost savings while maintaining operational goals.
- Act as representative in meetings to develop and nurture client relationships by identifying requirements and anticipating and resolving problems
- Proactively pursue carrier development opportunities by utilizing online training resources and attending seminars offered by technical training and equipment vendors
- Prepare reports and presentations describing activity, project status and presentations for management meetings and business reviews
- Manage a remote team of Contractors, Engineers, and Project Managers.
- Recruit, develop and retain staff, partnering with Senior Management.
- Provide disciplined performance management for team. Define and communicate annual goals, perform formal and informal performance reviews, and ensure changes and updates are communicated in a timely and professional manner.
- Proactively identify and resolve personnel issues in conjunction with Senior Managers.
Education and Experience
- B.S. degree in engineering with 10 or more year’s technical experience in design and management of communications networks and systems. Advanced degrees in engineering or technical services preferred. Established track record of supervisory experience of a professional or technical workforce. Must be knowledgeable in technology trends in the communication field.
- Must have a working knowledge of various communications systems and architectures including fiber optic network topology, underground and overhead construction techniques, permitting/franchise municipal requirements, optical transport technologies, DWDM, Ethernet and other industry standard system designs and equipment. Must have a knowledge of design and construction standards for various types of communications networks including fiber optic cable installation and outside plant construction.
- MS Office experience – working knowledge of Word, Power Point, Excel, Project.
- Positive attitude, leadership qualities, well organized, dependable, and excellent listening skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Must be willing and able to travel on a regular basis, and also travel for occasional meetings. A valid Driver’s License is required.
Compensation includes base salary and a discretionary, performance based year-end bonus. The base salary will be commensurate with experience. The Company offers a highly competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, PTO, etc.
No relocation packages are available for this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and use common hand tools. The employee is required to reach with hands and arms.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
For immediate consideration, please submit a detailed resume and cover letter as a PDF file and include current compensation requirements, in strict confidence.
Please note that unsolicited resumes or candidate submittals from any third-party recruiting or search firms will not be reviewed or considered. No phone calls please.
South Reach Networks is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.